Thursday, October 19, 2017

Memories of the World Series

As I sit here tonight watching the Cubs playing a sad game of baseball, I am remembering last year.  The excitement that Chicago felt because of our winning Cubbies.  Winning the World Series after 108 years....that was so exciting! That exciting time also brings me special memories of my family, especially Davis.

We took the three big kids to a Cubs game in September 2016 when I was super pregnant. The tickets were a surprise birthday gift for Jackson's 9th birthday.  He got to bring us all to the game.  IIt was SO hot and humid that day (I was a big swollen pregnant lady that I swear everyone at Wrigley was staring at) but it was so fun!  We got to see the Cubs play the year they won the World Series.  It was Bennett and Georgia's first Cubs game.  It was one of our final fun outings as a family of five.

Fast forward to October 22, the day after I had Davis, we were in the hospital and Game 6 against the Dodgers was on that night.  The hospital actually had the game on since so manyy patients requested it--and come on, it's the Chicago Cubs history.  Davis was still in the NICU during the game, but we would go and visit him throughout the game. There were no TVs in the NICU, so on the way back in the hallway, you would hear people cheering or a nurse would tell you the score.  It was such a way to connect with the nurses too.  Our day nurse was so excited for the game.  It was so fun talking with her the next day.  Game 6 was a late and exciting game and we had our new little man too!  It is such a fun memory.  Once we got home from our 5-day stay at the hospital, the World Series games had just started and we were so sleep deprived and I was still on pain pills, but we had to stay up and watch all those late night games with our newborn.  That last game of the series was so intense and awesome and memorable not only because the Cubs won after 108 years and we live in the suburbs of Chicago and grew up as a Cubs fan, but most memorable for me because I was holding my beautiful, healthy fourth baby in my arms while sitting next to the love of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment